Delaware Historical Markers Program
Trail of Courage
1746 – 1818
Born near this place on a plantation known as “Cedar Town”, Jones moved to
Philadelphia in 1762 and in 1784 purchased his freedom. He helped to establish
the Free African Society in 1787. A leader of the independent African American
church movement, in 1792 he organized St. Thomas’ African Episcopal Church
(Philadelphia) and in 1804 became the first African-American to be ordained an
Episcopal Priest. He reverently opposed slavery and other forms of social
SC – 81
LOCATION: South side of route 36
approximately 1/8 mile west of the intersection of route 36 and route 1
Delaware Public Archives operates a historical markers program as part of its
mandate. Markers are placed at historically significant locations and sites
across the state. For more information on this program, please contact Karen
Donovan at (302) 744-5048.
APPOQUINIMINK MEETING HOUSE
Believed to be one of the smallest Quaker Meeting Houses in the nation, the
Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was built in 1785 by David Wilson and
presented to the Friends as a gift. Local tradition identifies this structure as
a stop on the Underground Railroad during the years preceding the Civil War.
While enroute to destinations north of Delaware, runaway slaves would hide in
the loft of the church in order to escape capture. Prominent local Quakers who
served as agents on the Railroad included John Alston and John Hunn. The
Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was placed on the national Register of
Historic Places in 1972.
NC – 90
Odessa – Approximately 1/8 mile west of the intersection of Route 1 and Route
299 (main street) southside of Route 299.
BETHEL A.M.E. CHURCH
May 10, 1846, groups of African-American residents of Wilmington who had
affiliated themselves with the African Methodist Episcopal Church held a meeting
for the purpose of electing trustees and organizing as a corporate body. At the
time, approximately 15 families were meeting from house to house, worshipping
under the direction of ministers from Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church in
Philadelphia. The following September, the congregation purchased land at 12th
and Elizabeth Streets on which a church was to be erected. The new Structure
was dedicated in April 1847.
1853 the congregation relocated to a site at 6th and Penn Streets.
They continued to worship there until 1865, when their need for a larger
building led them to purchase the present site, where the Zion Evangelical
German Lutheran Church then stood. The old building was used until 1878, when
it was demolished and a new structure was built here.
A tragic fire led to the complete destruction of the church on
New Year’s Day, 1935. On March 5, 1939, the members of Bethel A.M.E. Church dedicated their new house of worship. The church
was expanded in 1976 with the opening of the adjoining Multipurpose Building.
NC – 102
LOCATION: Wilmington. Corner of 6th and Walnut
STATIONMASTER ON THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
Born August 21, 1789, in Upper
Darby, Pennsylvania, Garrett came to Wilmington in 1822. A prominent merchant,
his home and business were located nearby on Shipley Street. Garrett was
committed to the anti-slavery efforts of his Quaker faith. He is credited with
assisting more than 2,700 of “God’s Poor” to escape slavery through the secret
network known as the Underground Railroad. Though he was convicted and fined by
the U.S. District Court in 1848 for aiding runaway slaves, he refused to abandon
the fight to abolish slavery. After his death on January 25, 1871, Black
Wilmingtonians carried him to the Quaker Cemetery at 4th and West
Streets in appreciation of his unwavering commitment to the emancipation of
NC – 88
Historical Marker: Wilmington, Corner of Fourth and Shipley Streets, in
front of Delaware Technical & Community College
BISHOP RICHARD ALLEN
Richard Allen founded and became the first Bishop of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church in 1816. Born into slavery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on
February 14, 1760, Allen and his family were sold to a family near Dover in
1772. While there, he purchased his freedom, became a minister and joined the
Continental Army as a non-combatant during the Revolutionary War. After
returning to Philadelphia, he and Sussex Countian, Absalom Jones, founded the
Free African Society in 1787. He helped organize and was elected President of
the “The First Convention of the People of Colour” in 1830.
KC – 43
Lockerman Street Dover
ANTHONY – DELAWARE FIRST KNOWN BLACK SETTLER
man named Anthony was among the First permanent settlers of New Sweden. He came
to the Colony from the West Indies in 1639 aboard the Swedish ship Vogel Grip.
Records indicate that Black Anthony became a free man named Antoni Swart, an
employee of Governor Johan Printz, who cut hay and sailed Printz’s sloop during
the 1640’s and 1650’s.
NC – 80
LOCATION: FORT CHRISTINA PARK
BROWN V. BOARD OF EDUCATION
Delaware remained a racially segregated society until the mid-twentieth century.
Though the segregation of public schools was supported by the “separate but
equal” doctrine that had been upheld by the nation’s highest court, the
facilities and services provided for the whites and African-Americans were
hardly equal. Seeking to address this situation, citizens in the communities of
Claymont and Hockessin solicited the counsel of Louis L. Redding, the state’s
first African-American attorney. In 1951, with the assistance of attorney Jack
Greenberg, Mr. Redding brought suit against the State Board of Education in the
Delaware Court of Chancery. Formally known as Belton v. Gebhart and Bulah v.
Gebhart, the cases were combined. Redding argued that laws requiring schools to
be segregated by race denies the African-American students their constitutional
rights to the equal protection of the law. The chief judge of the court of
Chancery, Collins J. Seitz, agreed, finding that segregation was inherently
harmful to the students, and therefore unconstitutional. The Chancellor’s
opinion was the first clear victory for opponents of segregation in an American
court. The ruling was subsequently appealed and heard by the United States
Supreme Court as part of the Brown v. Board of Education case. On May 17, 1954,
the Supreme Court adopted the reasoning of Redding and Seitz in a decision that
effectively ended the segregation of public schools throughout the nation.
NC – 138
LOCATION: Hockessin, located at 4266
Mill Creek Road.
CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
January 26, 1883, the Delaware Baptist Union was formally incorporated by the
The purpose of the organization was to spread the message of the denomination
and promote “the erection and maintenance of houses of religious worship.” Soon
thereafter a group of African-American residents of Dover who had accepted the
Baptist faith began to hold meetings in private homes and a local store. In
1884 the Delaware Baptist Union purchased land at this location on which to
build a permanent home for the congregation. The new church was officially
dedicated on July 10, 1887. Known as Calvary Baptist Church, it was the second
African-American Baptist Church to be established in the state. The property was
formerly conveyed to the trustees of the church in 1924. After a long period of
sporadic growth, the congregation experienced an unprecedented expansion in the
1980s under the leadership of Reverend Richard M. Avant. Having outgrown the old
facility, a major construction project was undertaken. In 1983, land adjoining
the church was provided by William T. and Iris O. Wilson, and Wilson A. and
Betty M. Waters. The building was expanded to include a full basement, offices,
choir room, and enlarged chapel. The project was completed in 1986. Today,
Calvary Baptist Church continues to serve as a cultural and spiritual center for
the residents of the greater Dover community.
KC – 87 LOCATION:
Dover, Queen and Fulton Streets
CAMDEN FRIENDS MEETING
Burial Place of John Hunn
This house of worship, built in 1805, was first a Preparative Meeting under the
care of Motherkiln (Murderkill) Monthly Meeting of Religious Society of Friends
(Quakers). In 1830, Camden Monthly Meeting was formed by uniting with
Motherkiln and Duck Creek Monthly Meetings. It has since absorbed all other
Quaker Meetings in Kent and Sussex Counties. Many members were active in the
anti-slavery movement. Local Quakers such as the Hunn, Jenkins, and Cowgill
families, were well known for their efforts in support of abolition. Some
served as conductors on the Underground Railroad, providing “safe houses” and
passing fugitive slaves northward. Of particular note was John Hunn, the Chief
Engineer of the Underground Railroad in Delaware. A resident of the Middletown
area during much of his life, Hunn was responsible for the operation of the
network that transported thousands of escapees through Delaware to Wilmington,
and thence to freedom. A man of great modesty, he declined to take credit for
his heroic efforts. He was laid to rest in the adjoining burial ground following
his death in 1894.
Camden Friends Meeting House and grounds were listed in the National Register of
Historic Places in 1973.
KC – 73
122 E. Camden – Wyoming Avenue, Camden.
CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL
Also known as Naaman’s Creek
School #1, THE CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL was built on land donated by John
Dickinson, the “Penman of the American Revolution,” in 1805. The building was
expanded and renovated in 1905. Evidence suggest that it may have been the
first racially integrated public school in the State. The Claymont Stone School
was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
NC – 105
Claymont – West Side of Philadelphia Pike/US 13. Approximately .35 miles south
of the intersection of US 13 and I-495.
Built in the mid-eighteenth century by Captain David Clark, Clearfield Farm was
the home of his grandson John Clark (1761-1821), Governor of Delaware from
1817-1820. John Clark served as Colonel in the Delaware Militia and as Justice
of the Peace before being elected Governor in 1816. After his term expired,
Clark moved into the town of Smyrna to become President of the Commercial Bank
of Smyrna. Following his death, the property was inherited by his
granddaughters. Local folklore identifies the plantation as a stop on the
Underground Railroad. The property was listed on the National Register of
Historical Places in 1973.
NC – 89
LOCATION: Near Smyrna – On the grounds of the Delaware Correctional
Center. Approximately one mile south of the intersection of Paddock Road and
Smyrna Landing Road.
DELAWARE CITY SCHOOL #118 C
1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system opening a new era in the
education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of
the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont,
who conducted a statewide effort to replace outdated and overcrowded
facilities. On March 9, 1922 the state received the deed for a new building to
replace a school located in the Polktown section of the community. The facility
housed grades one through eight. Citizens expressed their gratitude to Mr.
duPont for his “most generous and valuable gift.” The school was closed in
1961. In 1962 the property was sold to the Delaware City Community Park
NC – 97
Delaware City – End of Dragon Run Park Road. Approximately .25 miles west of
the intersection of Route 9 and Dragon Run Park
DELAWARE STATE COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL
June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for colored students,
later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the
establishment of a four year high school for Negro students on its campus. This
was the second such institution in the state, and the first outside of
Wilmington. Many of the classes were held in the Dupont Building, also known as
the Practice School. This building was named for Pierre S. Dupont, a Delaware
philanthropist who was instrumental in funding the construction of Negro Schools
throughout the state. With the establishment of a comprehensive high school for
Negro students in each county, the State College High School was closed in 1952.
KC – 45
West side of U.S. 13, north Dover, rear of campus.
DELAWARE STATE COLLEGE
FIRST COLLEGE FOR BLACKS IN DELAWARE
Established May 15, 1891, by
an act of the Delaware General Assembly as the State College for Colored
Students, by virtue of the 1890 Morrill Land-Grant Act under the provisions of
the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress. Incorporated July 1, 1891. Reincorporated
March 10, 1911. Name changed to Delaware State College in 1947.
KC – 42
Route 13 at entrance to college
In 1723 Nicholas Lockerman
purchased 600 acres of land known as “The Range.” Following his death in 1771,
the property passed to his grandson Vincent Lockerman Jr. Evidence suggests
that he built the Georgian-style mansion known today as Lockerman Hall soon
after inheriting the property. A member of the early Revolutionary-era Committee
of inspection, and County Militia, Vincent Lockerman Jr. died April 5, 1790.
August 24, 1891, 95 acres of the old plantation where slaves had once toiled
were purchased for the purpose of establishing the “Delaware College for Colored
Students.” Lockerman Hall became the center of the campus, serving variously
as a dormitory, classroom, and administration building. In 1971, the structure
was placed on the National Register of historic Places by the National Park
Dover. Center of campus of Delaware State University – west side U.S. 13.
DICKERSON CHAPEL A.M.E. CHURCH
May 2, 1868, the African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased land west of
Millsboro from John M. Burton and first church building was soon built. In 1885,
the Church officially changed its name to Dickerson Chapel to honor Bishop
William Fisher Dickerson. Known locally as the Old Field Church, the church
building was renovated and rebuilt several times during the early part of the 20th
century. In 1923, Juba Boyce willed land at this site to the Church. The
congregation moved to this location in 1970 when the present Dickerson Chapel
was built under the leadership of Rev. E.L. Coleman.
SC – 102
LOCATION: Millsboro – East side of
Route 113, approximately 1.25 miles south of Route 113 and Route 24
GRAVESITE OF BISHOP PETER SPENCER (1779-1843)
AND HIS DEVOTED WIFE, ANNES
Born a slave, Bishop Spencer was the father of Delaware’s independent Black
church movement. In 1813, he founded the Union Church of Africans, presently
known as the African Union Methodist Protestant Church. The mother AUMP church
stood on this site from 1813 to 1970. The Union America Methodist Episcopal
Church (UAME), formally organized in 1865, traces its origins to Spencer. He
was also the founder of “August Quarterly” in 1813, one of the oldest Black folk
festivals in America.
NC – 84
Wilmington – French Street in Peter Spencer Plaza.
Hockessin School #107-C
Also known as the Hockessin Colored School, this building was constructed in
1920 to serve the needs of the community’s African-American students. Funding
for construction was provided by the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and
its primary supporter P.S. duPont.
Unlike white students, African-American students in the community were not
provided with transportation to their school. After unsuccessfully attempting
to convince officials to provide this service, Mrs. Sarah Bulah sought the
assistance of attorney Louis L. Redding, who filed suit against the State Board
of Education in 1951on behalf of her daughter Shirley. The case was formally
known as Bulah v. Gebhart. It was subsequently combined with a similar suit
that had been filed on behalf of students in Claymont. On April 1, 1952,
Delaware Chancellor Collins J. Seitz issued a decision declaring that the
disparity between the white and African-American schools was in violation of the
United States Supreme Court, where it was joined with other cases to become
Brown v. Board of Education. On May 17, 1954, the court issued its historic
decision declaring segregation of schools to be unlawful. Hockessin School
#107C was closed in 1959. It was later converted for use as the Hockessin
NC – 137
Hockessin, 4266 Mill Creek Road
HOWARD HIGH SCHOOL
First Secondary School for Blacks in Delaware
Founded in 1867 by the Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of
Colored People and named for Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard, the original
school was located at 12th and Orange Streets. Pierre S. DuPont was
the major benefactor for the new building, opened in 1938 on this site. With the
annexation of the adjoining Howard Career Center in 1975, Howard’s role as the
major educational institution for Blacks expanded to include students from the
total Delaware community.
NC – 82
LOCATION – North Poplar Street in front of Howard High School, near West
13th Street, Wilmington.
MACEDONIA A.M.E. CHURCH
origin of this congregation can be traced to the African Methodist Episcopal
Church circa 1852. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the group obtained the
old Bochin’s Meeting House and moved it to a lot on the west side of Front
Street in 1861. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees the following
year. A through rebuilding of the church was completed in 1879 during the
pastorate of Rev. Heath.
1906, the trustees of Macedonia A.M.E. Church purchased land at this location to
serve as a future site for their house of worship. The Front Street church was
moved to the site in 1915, and an extensive remodeling project was completed
under the administration of Rev. J.J. Moore. Another major renovation and
expansion of church facilities was undertaken in 1981. Several annual
conferences have been held here since its founding on the eve of the Civil War.
Macedonia A.M.E. Church has continued to play a vital role in the spiritual life
of the community.
SC – 147
MASON-DIXON CROWN STONE
1763, Penn and Calvert commissioners erected milestones along the boundary
between Maryland and the Three Lower Counties (Delaware), part of the
Mason-Dixon survey. Every five miles they erected elaborate Crown Stones. This
stone was displayed in St. Louis in 1904, and later in Baltimore. It was
returned to Marydel in 1954 and was reset in 1964.
Marydel on the Maryland-Delaware line, 14 miles west of Dover.
RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS
Grew from Newark Meeting established 1682. Present house is third in this
vicinity. Friends School begun here in 1748 has operated continuously. Among
3,000 buried in yard are founders of Wilmington, John Dickinson, “Penman of the
Revolution”, and Thomas Garrett, leader of Underground Railroad on Delmarva
NC – 76 LOCATION:
Wilmington – in meeting house yard, 4th and West Streets
MORNING STAR INSTITUTIONAL
CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST, INC.
1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site
from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on
July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure was undertaken in 1865 and
1940. The building was expanded with the addition of a nine-room educational
annex in 1948. The Whatcoat congregation continued to worship here until 1967,
when services were moved to a new church nearby. After a decade of continued
use as a center for educational activities, this property was conveyed to the
Church of Christ in 1977. It was subsequently sold to New Hope Baptist Church
in 1981. On June 17, 1986, the structure was purchased by Morning Star
Institutional Church Of God in Christ Inc. This denomination was formally
organized in 1907 by Bishop Charles H. Mason of Memphis, Tennessee.
Morning Star Institutional
Church Of God In Christ is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
KC – 82
Camden, located at 255 East Camden-Wyoming Avenue.
Mount Olive Cemetery
In 1862 the members of Mother AUMP
Church, also known as the Union Church of African Members, purchased property at
the corner of Lancaster Avenue and Union Street in Wilmington for the purpose of
establishing a cemetery. In 1914 the Church sold the property, then known as St.
Peter Cemetery for the construction of Bancroft Parkway. Remains were
disinterred and reburied at Mount Olive. Many prominent citizens and community
leaders are buried here. In 1980 the Friends of Mount Olive Cemetery was
established to provide ongoing care and maintenance.
NC – 87
LOCATION: West of Wilmington, On State Route 48/100 one-half east of State Route
inadequate condition of schools throughout the nation resulted in a major effort
to reform public education following World War 1. Delaware was at the forefront
of this movement. With the assistance of the Delaware Auxiliary Association and
its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, a program to replace outdated schools was
undertaken. Noting the poor nature of facilities provided for African-American
students enrolled in the state’s segregated schools, the Association made them
their first priority. In 1921 they initiated the construction of a modern
building at this location to accommodate students from Bridgeville and the
surrounding community. Known for a time as the Bridgeville Colored School, the
facility was subsequently named for Phillis Wheatley (c1753-1784), the nations’
first published African-American poet. In addition to serving the needs of the
area’s elementary and middle school students, the building was a center for
community activities. The school was integrated in 1966 and converted for use as
North Bridgeville Elementary. It later served as the Woodbridge Early Childhood
Education Center. Following extensive renovation and expansion, this historic
structure was reopened as the Phillis Wheatley Middle School in 2004.
SC – 179
Bridgeville, 48 Church Street
PRIDE OF DELAWARE LODGE #349 IBPOEW
Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized
in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvement, the IBPOEW is one of the
largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the
request of a group of Newark citizens, the IBPOEW issued a charter for Pride of
Delaware Lodge #349 on March 29, 1923. The first Exalted Ruler of the new lodge
was W.G. Saunders, a long-time leader in Newark’s African-American community.
The present lodge hall was purchased in 1938. Formerly a store and pool hall,
it has served as the home of Lodge #349 since that time. It is also the meeting
place of Elizabeth Boulden Temple #269, a women’s organization, which is
affiliated with the IBPOEW. Since its founding in 1923, the Pride of Delaware
Lodge has continued in its role to promote “the nobleness of soul and goodness
of heart” through various activities within the Newark community.
Newark, DE, located on West Cleveland Avenue
THE REVERSE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
the late 1700s the institution of slavery was declining in Delaware. A changing
economy and the active efforts of Quakers and Methodists had led to the
manumission of many slaves and dramatic growth of the state’s free black
population. Though Congress outlawed importation of slaves in 1808, demand for
slave labor in the expanding states of the Deep South continued to grow. A
nefarious criminal element sought to fill this need by kidnapping free blacks
for sale into slavery. Such was the case in Delaware, where countless numbers
of innocent persons were abducted and sent to the South via secret networks
operated by criminal gangs. The Abolition Society of Delaware worked tirelessly
against the practice, and opposed the gangs. Among these was Wilmington
resident Thomas Garrett, the legendary Underground Railroad conductor who
dedicated his life to the abolition of slavery after the abduction of a woman
employed by his family. Despite the efforts of Garrett and others, and the
enactment of harsh punishments for kidnappers, Delaware’s black residents
continued to live in fear for their safety until the Civil War.
This memorial is dedicated to the victims of this evil enterprise, and those who
struggled against it.
NC 128 LOCATION: Riverfront west of the John Reilly (South Market Street)
ST JOSEPH CHURCH
cradle of African-American Catholicism in Delaware, St. Joseph Church was
organized in 1889 by Father John A. DeRuyter of the Josephites. Services were
first held in the basement of St. Mary’s Church on 6th and Pine
Streets. Incorporated as St. Joseph’s Society for Colored Missions on March 4,
1890, the first church structure was dedicated in October of the same year.
During the next few years, Father DeRuyter expanded the church’s role in the
community to include an orphanage, a school and a free dispensary. One of the
school’s most prominent students was State Senator Herman M. Holloway, Sr., the
first African –American to serve in the Delaware State Senate.
NC – 94
Wilmington. East Side of French Street, near the intersection of French Street
and 11th Street.
SCOTT AME ZION CHURCH
Zion Church in New York City, organized in 1796, was the catalyst
by which the African Methodist Episcopal Zion denomination was established in
1821. By the 1870’s a number of Wilmington residents had affiliated themselves
with this growing denomination. Formally incorporated as Plymouth AME Zion Church in 1878, the group first
held worship services in an old church at 2nd & Washington Streets.
Renamed Grace AME Zion in the 1890s,
the congregation moved to several locations before purchasing this site in 1959.
The present church was originally constructed in 1852 to serve as
an interdenominational education facility known as the South Street Sabbath
School. In 1855 the seating capacity of the building was doubled and its name
was changed to Scott Methodist Episcopal Church to honor pioneering Methodist
Bishop Levi Scott. After a century of good works in the community, the church
was formally closed and sold to the members of Grace AME
Zion. Upon moving to the present location, the name Scott
AME Zion Church was adopted by the congregation,
preserving an important link to the early days of Methodism.
NC – 112
and Spruce, Wilmington
Cradle of African-American Political Leadership
William J. Winchester, after
serving 16 years on Wilmington City Council became the first of his race elected
to the Delaware House of Representatives. He served from 1948 until his death
in 1952. Herman M. Holloway, Sr., became the first African-American elected to
the State Senate in 1964. Henrietta Johnson was the first African-American
female elected to the House of Representatives, serving from 1970 - 1978.
NC – 86
Wilmington. New Castle Avenue, one block from South Claymont Street
STAR HILL A.M.E. CHURCH
the end of the 18th century, this area was home to a large number of
African Americans, many of them freed slaves. Their settlement was largely due
to the efforts of local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church was established here circa 1863. On June 12, 1866, the
congregation purchased land from Henry W. Postles as the site for their church,
which they named “Star of the East”. Members of the church are believed to have
participated in the activities of the Underground Railroad and the church’s name
is attributed to the symbol of the star as a guide for escaping slaves.
LOCATION: Near Camden - Approximately ½
mile east of the intersection of Route 13 and Star Hill Road (Route 360) north
side of Star Hill Road.
THE HOME OF
WILLIAM JULIUS “JUDY” JOHNSON
Born October 26, 1899 – Died June 14, 1989
In 1975 William Julius “Judy”
Johnson became the first Delawarean elected to the National Baseball Hall of
Fame. During his career, 1921 through 1936, Johnson was considered the best
third baseman in the Negro Leagues. In 1935, Johnson served as captain of the
Pittsburgh Crawfords, a team that also featured Hall of Famers Satchel Paige,
Oscar Charleston, Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell. Later he served as a scout
for the Philadelphia Athletics, the Philadelphia Phillies, and the Milwaukee
Braves. This house where Johnson and his wife Anita lived for 55 years is
listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
NC – 95
Marshallton – Intersection of Newport Road and Kiamensi Avenue
WILLIAM C. JASON COMPREHENSIVE HIGH SCHOOL
FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN SECONDARY SCHOOL in
Named after the first African-American president of Delaware State College, the
school opened in October 1950. Funds were provided in the will of H. Fletcher
Brown a local philanthropist, and by the State General Assembly. Initially Jason
High School served grades 9 through 12, but in 1953 it expanded to include
students from seventh and eight grades. The desegregation of schools in Delaware
led to the closing of Jason in June, 1967 after which it became part of Delaware
Technical and Community College.
SC – 80
Georgetown. On State Road 18 (Seashore Highway), west of the U.S. 113
WILLIAM W.M. HENRY COMPREHENSIVE HIGH SCHOOL
In 1947 the General Assembly appropriated funding
to build a comprehensive high school for Blacks and other persons of color
residing in central Delaware. The site for the new school was selected in 1949.
The state and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association allocated additional
funding, and construction was begun in 1951. The new school opened its doors in
September 1952. It was named for Dr. W. M. Henry, a 1902 graduate of Delaware
State College, who was the first Black physician to practice in lower Delaware.
In 1965, the State Board of Education ordered the desegregation of Delaware
schools. The High School was closed on June 30, 1966, and the facility became a
part of Dover’s integrated public school system.
LOCATION: Dover, 65 Carver
WILMINGTON FRIENDS MEETING
Burial Place of Thomas Garrett
first Meeting House on this site was built in 1738. It was replaced in 1748
when a larger building was constructed. The old Meeting House was then
converted into a school. Known as Wilmington Friends School, it was relocated to
a new facility in 1937, and is the oldest existing school in the state. The
present Meeting House was built in 1816.
Wilmington was the last major stop on the East Coast overland route of the
Underground Railroad. One of the central figures of this clandestine network was
Thomas Garrett, a Wilmington resident and member of this Meeting, who was known
as the “Stationmaster of the Underground Railroad.” Found guilty of violating
the Fugitive Slave Law in 1848, he was forced to sell his possessions to pay his
fine. Many were purchased and returned to him by members of the Meeting and
other supporters. Garrett is credited with helping more than 2,700 slaves
escape to freedom. His last public appearance was as presiding officer of a
suffrage meeting, continuing his dedication to the still held Quaker tenets of
Simplicity, Equality, and Peace. Following his death in 1871, he was laid to
rest in the adjoining burial ground.
NC – 125
LOCATION: Wilmington, corner of 4th and
For a Complete Listing:
Delaware Public Archives
121 Duke of York Street
Dover, DE 19901