end of the 18th century, this area was home to a
large number of African Americans, many of them freed
slaves. Their settlement was largely due to the efforts of
local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church was established here circa 1863. On June
12, 1866, the congregation purchased land from Henry W.
Postles as the site for their church, which they named “Star
of the East”. Members of the church are believed to have
participated in the activities of the Underground Railroad
and the church’s name is attributed to the symbol of the
star as a guide for escaping slaves.
Near Camden - Approximately ˝ mile east of the intersection
of Route 13 and Star Hill Road (Route 360) north side of
Star Hill Road.
Delaware Public Archives operates a historical makers
program as part of its mandate. Markers are placed at
historically significant locations and sites across the
state. For more information, please contact Russ McCabe
at (302) 744-5000.
A.M.E. Church is listed in
the National Register of historic places.
Underground Railroad Special Resource Study 1995.
a longtime resident of Star Hill and a member of the Star
Hill A.M.E. Church is the Curator of the Star Hill Museum. She is in demand
for tours and interpretive programs of Kent County’s
Underground Railroad. Ms. Wilson is the Founder/President
of the Star Hill Historical Society and a Founding Member of
the Underground Railroad Coalition of Delaware.
Star Hill Museum
357 Voshell Mill-Star Hill Road